FREIGHT CAR TYPE F COUPLERS
Type F interlocking couplers are equipped with the F design head end and the F design shank and butt end. Incorporated into the F design are several features that are not available in the Types E and E/F designs. These added features include:
- Frontal interlocking wing pockets and lugs that interlock with any mating interlocking coupler. These safety features help maintain the couplers and derailed cars in alignment to assist in preventing over-turning and telescoping of the cars.
- A frontal bottom support shelf is standard on all F couplers to prevent a mating pulled out coupler from falling to the roadbed and thereby becoming a hazard.
- A total of only 3.8” of free contour slack exists between two new F Interlocking couplers: as opposed to 25/32” for two new Type E or Type E/F mated couplers. The result is an improvement in train handling actions.
- Reduction in wear on head surfaces results in extended services life due to control of vertical interface movements and less free contour slack.
- Buff loads are distributed through the central column of the F Interlocking coupler.
- When provided, the shank butt alignment shoulders assist in keeping the couplers centered and cars aligned under heavy buffing actions and slack run-in.
- The vertical pin connection makes a more efficient assembly than possible with a crosskey
- Coupler locklift assembly provides a telltale visual means for determining that the coupler is securely locked.
- A three-way anti-creep feature prevents accidental uncoupling of the rotary bottom operating Type F Coupler.
All of the Standard operating parts are interchangeable from one Type F coupler to another, except when the locklift arrangement precludes change in design of the locklift assemblies. Type F operating parts are designed so that they will not fit into other Types of couplers, except as listed.
TYPE F COUPLER PARTS LIST
TYPE F COUPLERS AND PARTS ARE GOVERNED BY THE FOLLOWING AAR SPECIFICATIONS AND INTERCHANGE RULES:
- M-118 Knuckle Pins & Shank Connecting Pins
- M-201 General for Steel Castings
- S-172 Inspection & Maintenance on Cars
- M-211 Purchase & Acceptance
- M-212 Secondhand & Reconditioned
- Rule 16 Type E Couplers & Parts
- Rule 19 Yokes for Type E Couplers
- Rule 88 Couplers & Parts Required for Car Acceptance
- Rule 90 Couplers & Parts Prohibited in Interchange