FREIGHT CAR TYPE E COUPLERS
All Type E couplers are equipped with head ends of an identical “basic” design. It is this “basic” head design that is designated as Type E.
To meet varied service condition arrangement needs, Type E couplers may be equipped with variant compatible shank designs and special features for fitting. For purposes of identification, each different coupler design is indicated by the assignment of a Catalog Number or ID number. Modifications to existing designs are indicated by the assignment of suffix letters to coupler Catalog Numbers or ID Numbers.
All Type E couplers are furnished with bodies, knuckles and locks of quenched and tempered Grade E steel. Grade E material is identified by the letter E at the end of the item Catalog number, or ID Number.
All of the Standard operation parts are interchangeable from one Type E or E/F coupler to another; except when the locklift arrangement precludes change in design of the locklift assemblies. The Type E operating parts are designed so that they will not fit into other Types of couplers, except as listed.
TYPE E COUPLER PARTS LIST
TYPE E COUPLERS AND PARTS ARE GOVERNED BY THE FOLLOWING AAR SPECIFICATIONS AND INTERCHANGE RULES:
- M-118 Knuckle Pins & Shank Connecting Pins
- M-201 General for Steel Castings
- S-172 Inspection & Maintenance on Cars
- M-211 Purchase & Acceptance
- M-212 Secondhand & Reconditioned
- Rule 16 Type E Couplers & Parts
- Rule 19 Yokes for Type E Couplers
- Rule 88 Couplers & Parts Required for Car Acceptance
- Rule 90 Couplers & Parts Prohibited in Interchange